Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Blast from the Past (2) ....

 
 
 
Plein-air: The Roann of the Mystic Seaport.
20" x 28". Oil on Canvas. 2000.
Copyright.
 
Private Collection: Pittsburgh, PA.
 
---------------------------------------------
 
Every so often when sorting
through the many cardboard boxes in the studio,
I usually stumble upon photos
taken many years ago of my early works,
both of plein-air and studio works.
 
The piece above is a plein-air work.
 
I set-up at the back entrance of
the Mystic Seaport Museum.
Most of the painting was done on-site
with 2 or 3 visits after the initial start.
I took a few photos as reference
for the proper placement of the rigging
on both vessels so the piece could be
finished in the studio.
 
I remember the Antique Car Show
was happening at the time
during the 2 location visit.
It was fun hearing all the
old cars slowly puttering by
with happy laughing and encouraging cheers
coming from their freshly polished seats. 
 
I found the framestock somewhere,
during my many travels.
The stock was in rough shape,
but with a good hand-sanding and
a layer of gold leaf, it turned out nicely.
 
Stay tuned for more
from the studio!
 
Cheers, ~ Polly ~


No comments: