Tuesday, October 2, 2012

A Blast from the Past ...

 
 
'The Passing - Savannah'
20" x 26". Oil on Canvas. 2001.
Hand-made frame. Copyright.
 
Private Collection: Niantic, CT.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------
 
For the last couple of days
I've been doing a 'deep clean' of
tidying up and re-organising
the studio space to make room for
the anticipated influx of new works
all waiting to either be finished or born.
 
And in doing this 'deep clean'
I came across a couple of 'old' slide sheets
and a pile of photos with images
from my early days as a
'historical marine artist'.
 
As any historical marine artist,
it is paramount to have reliant and 
accurate source material.
I had been given
a wonderful little book on
from the Addison Gallery of American Art,
at the Phillips Academy of Andover, Mass.
While leafing through the book
I instantly fell in love with
the four masted schooner
the 'Savannah'.
 
She was clean, bright and
had a classic look about her,
and she was to be my next painting. 
 
I ventured to the Addison Gallery
so that I could draw her from Life.
 
The ship models were displayed
in a couple of long,
somewhat dark hallways
in nice large glass cases,
and their arrangements
were like that of a ship parade
which made for very limited viewings.
 
I found the Savannah,
was she beautiful! 
Her port side faced out
and that's what I had to work with. 
 
The Savannah,
was a four masted cargo Schooner.
She was designed for the lumber trade.
 
Here she's left her
home port of Portland, Maine,
bound for the Southern waters
of Georgia and Florida.
 
--------------------------
 
Stay tuned for more
from the studio!
 
Cheers, ~ Polly ~
 

No comments: